Instagram: @fonzynils Twitter: @fonzynils Facebook: www.facebook.com/fonzy.nils Website: www.fonzynils.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I have always drawn, it is one of my first memories. I studied Graphic Design and Photography and I have a degree in architecture. During my university years, I started to post my drawings on the web, I created socials profiles, a blog and day by day I became very passionate about the illustration world and I gave a name to my life attitude. I come from Italy, I was born in Pompeii a town famous in the world for the ruins of the city destroyed by the Vesuvio volcano.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I like the graphic style and the simplicity of the shapes. I have been influenced by the cartoons of my childhood, the vintage graphic posters and the simplicity of the shapes that build a more complex image.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I started with paper, pens, pencils and all the traditional materials, but I love to work with digital supports. I use a Wacom tablet and often I start with a direct digital sketch, but I also love to draw on paper, I always have a sketchbook with me when I walk around. Basically, my favourite medium is digital, but I need to keep in contact with traditional supports.
4. What is your artistic process like?I usually start with a sketch on paper, where I work on the concept of the idea, the composition and I start to imagine a colour palette, but sometimes I start with a digital sketch and I already have a colour palette, when I have a clear image I proceed with a digital drawing of it.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I watched 100000 cartoons, I always loved animated characters and this gave me the vision of an image with a prevalence of characters. I also studied Graphic Designer, Comics artists and Creative, I'm a big fan of Peanuts and I think that the soul of my imagination is similar, a little bit romantic and dreamer. I love the works of Erberto Carboni, Janusz Stanny, the characters of Jacovitti. Basically, I think that my imagination is based on various and different inspirations and I like this.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?The art is a big big part of my life, it is like binoculars that give to me a personal vision of the world. The point is that the art has a continuity in me, it grows up with me and changes with me and probably it is the first thing I did for myself, thus I consider my passion an important part of my existence.
7. Where did you study?How I wrote in the first question I studied Graphic design and I have a degree in architecture, I'm thinking to study design, because I don't want a small vision of my way, but I would love to merge illustration and design.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?This is a good and hard question, honestly, I can't see me in an agency, I like to experiment and to take my time to find my ways and it could be difficult working in an agency. I really don't know where I see myself in five years, but I know how I want to see me, I want to have the chance to collaborate with important clients and I would love to have a personal brand to produce very beautiful things.
9. What about in ten?This is harder than the previous question, so my answer is I only hope to have art in my life. Please don't ask me what about in twenty! :)
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to produce nice images to the people and to give them emotions, I also hope to work for amazing and important projects and for myself I hope to take always peace and happiness from my illustrations.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Very easy question: Pizza, of course!
12. Favourite book?The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
13. Favourite genre of music?I like to listen to various genre of music, I love Jazz and indie rock.
14. What are your hobbies?I go often to the cinema, I like to watch tv series, play piano and travelling.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I would be an actor that gives the voice to the cartoon characters.