Instagram: @g.illustrated Facebook: www.facebook.com/G.illustrated
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in Greece in 1992, I spent 5 years living in London where I completed my Bachelors in Architecture. At the moment I work as a freelance designer in Thessaloniki, Greece.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic is generally minimal, I like things to be straightforward, functional in a sense. I like visuals that easily convey information, clean lines and design for use. I do enjoy fun graphics and have been trying to experiment with color and a looser style, than the architectural one, for my illustrations. Definitely hoping to get more comfortable with bolder colors as my style evolves, like the cobalt blue which I love.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I will go out on a limb with this one and say my favorite medium is digital... Even though I love making things by hand, I feel digital files allow me to experiment faster, try different colors, make it 3d, make an animation... It gives me efficiency in working & the freedom to choose my medium when I have the idea at hand.
4. What is your artistic process like?It's a bit all over the place haha. I can't say I have a specific process pinned down... Being an artist, a designer, a maker, anything creative really... it's not a job. It's not something were you wake up, punch the clock and whoop creativity swoops in... I might get an idea at 4 am while in the shower. I generally try to visit new places, meet new people and have new experiences because I've found that is what makes me more creative and brings in fresh inspiration.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Everything really but mostly the need to have fun with something. Just make a quick drawing of something that might be quirky but might have a second layer to it when you look closely... and then go back to what I would normally do for my job that day.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is everything and everywhere around us... I could not imagine my life without being able to create things, it's all I ever wanted to do.
7. Where did you study?I 've studied Photography in Greece and Painting in London before acquiring my BA in Interior Architecture from the University of Westminster,
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I strongly believe creatives learn best when they're in a team. At the moment I aim at creating relationships with others in my field, learning and expanding my creativity and skill set. In 5 years time I hope to have achieved successful work relationships and to have worked a number of jobs in the field of design that will give me knowledge of the real market and a good portfolio.
9. What about in ten?Well in 10, I hope to be part of a great multidisciplinary creative team that tackles design holistically.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I just want people to have fun with it, the way I do, and maybe have a better thing about some of the issues addressed in my illustrations (womens position is society, eroticism, humor etc.)
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Hm... I'm weird with food... I don't eat mammals as well as any edibles containing animal raw materials such as gelatin (yeap i don't eat gummy bears). I guess my favorite food would be vegetable pasta with pesto and creme - yum!
12. Favourite book?I don't have a 'favorite book' per say but I have books I go back to in the years such as "Ways of Seeing" by John Berger. I also recently bought "Whatever your think, think the opposite" by Paul Arden, it's a great book!
13. Favourite genre of music?Ugh... Are there still genres in music? I think it's all mixed up now haha. I grew up with rock classics like Dylan, Reed, Clapton... moved on to Red Hot Chili Peppers and more indie stuff in high school, then to R&B, blues and hip hop (love the classics). I generally like music you can dance to for going out and chill out things like Bonobo for working.
14. What are your hobbies?Hobbies? Design is life! Jk, I enjoy making things by hand, I make wax models for cast jewellery in my free time and enjoy watching documentaries from TEDx or How It's Made, I don't have a tv so I'm always looking for something educational to watch online while I do work or just browse the webs.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I prefer the term designer or multidisciplinary designer but I guess if I didn't have the option of doing anything immediately related to art or design and could choose anything I would choose to be a rockstar!