1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi! I'm a 3d artist/animator based in Brooklyn, originally born in Detroit.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Been doing a lot of puffy, soft, acid-pastel-y kind of illustrations and animations for the last couple years. A lot of people say they want to eat my work, or that it looks like candy.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Lately been really interested in making video games. I never considered myself a "gamer" growing up but when I look back on my childhood, a lot of my formative media experiences were via the Sims, or Pokemon, or a number of bizarre flash games from the early 00s. I've put out a few games in the last few years that a really personal, with the ultimate goal of making something that becomes a part of other people's lives. I'm also -- and I know this is such a cliche for a commercial animator to say -- getting really interested in longer-form narrative animation.
4. What is your artistic process like?It's a bit different for each piece but usually I start by blocking out shapes, then refining detail, then adding color (my favorite part), and finally animation or programming. Sometimes I have an idea that I've written down in my Notes app, sometimes the idea comes from the way forms are combining through random play, kind of like a little kid messing with wood blocks.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Cartoons, candy wrappers, toys-- kid stuff, I guess. But I don't really think of my work as being for or aimed at kids.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Doing 3D modeling has made me more observant of architecture and furniture design, and the composition of the world in general. If I'm walking into a room for the first time, sometimes I catch myself breaking it down into geometric forms and figuring out what it would be like to model it.
7. Where did you study?I studied creative writing in Boston for 3 years after high school. More significant parts of my education came from design forums and Youtube tutorials.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Oof, idk. Not really interested in thinking about the future or making predictions because things are going so good day-to-day and I'm trying to be grateful for that. Probably not at an agency, but who knows, the definition of an Agency can change a lot in five years.
9. What about in ten?Retired and living in a weird mansion that all the neighbors think is haunted because I never come outside.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Idk, I just wanna make people feel OK and be part of their day for a few seconds or minutes.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Pork bao buns (the cloud of food)
12. Favourite book?100 Years of Solitude
13. Favourite genre of music?Post-punk
14. What are your hobbies?Bike riding, playing music and going 2 shows, playing with my nintendo 3Ds in the cemetery.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A different artist.
Comments are closed.