Instagram: @imtinayang, @imtinatuna Website: www.imtinayang.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?So I was born and raised in Taipei, Taiwan and had the opportunity to come to study in the US when I was 16 years old. I was extremely lucky to have my parents' support. Growing up I wasn't the best type of student. I was secretly bullied by my teacher and my classmates because I wasn't academically successful and that means a lot in the Asian society. And weirdly enough, I thought everything they said about me was right. I never told my parents or anyone about it. I was extremely shy and I don't really talk to anyone or was afraid of speaking up or present my own opinion until couple years after studying in the US. Thankfully I had so many mentors and teachers helping me get out of the black hole I was in for the longest time. And I am extremely thankful and lucky that my past did not destroy me but made me who I am now.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I love simple, elegant, refined and smart designs. It is something I admire and always try to achieve.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My favorite medium has to be gouache. Not acrylic gouache but gouache, gouache! I love the matte finish and the fact that they reactivates. But recently I have been doing more digital work so Kyle Brushes? HAHAHAHA
4. What is your artistic process like?Depending on the project and the medium but I always start up with doing research. Then I start sketching with PENCIL! (It has to be pencil/pen on paper, I realized somehow I cannot sketch on tablet, I just don't relate to it personally.) And after maybe 380437058729348750139847 times of re-editing, I take a photo of my sketch and pull it into my laptop and start refining it using photoshop. If it is digital work, then I just start photoshopping from there. If it is analogue gouache painting, I start with color comps. I tile print out the line drawing and trace them onto my paper and starts painting!
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?WOO, okay there is going to be quite a list. David Hockney, David Hockney, David Hockney. Family. Food. My boyfriend, Charles Park(babe, you're famous). My dog, Protein(yes, this really is his name). Powerlifting. Basically anything that makes me happy or visually entertaining.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Oh, art is everything. My parents, they work in the furniture design industry so I get to understand art world from very early stage. It is something I grew up with so I am always very detail oriented when it comes to design and art but when it comes to living life, as long as I'm happy and eating good food, I'm good!
7. Where did you study?I actually just graduated from ArtCenter College of Design majoring Illustration – Design.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Hopefully, having my own fitness apparel brand. I am a powerlifter and I would love love LOVE more than anything to incorporate my designs onto activewear that are designed specifically for powerlifter, bodybuilder and any fitness enthusiast!
9. What about in ten?Hopefully but that time, all I need to worry about my fitness brand is designing patterns and not worrying about inventory, money, etc.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?My goal is when people see my art, it warms their heart. Even though I've been more focused on making patterned recently but I still do a lot of paintings. And I am always so happy when people tell me that my artwork make them feel like home. Make them feel like they're in their happy place. And that's what I want. There are so many sorrow in this world, the least I want to do is make people feel sad.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I am a weekend hiker, NOT a runner, occasional baker, pizza addict, power-lift enthusiast and professional bathroom singer.
12. Favourite book?Don't judge me but HANDS DOWN: HARRY POTTER
13. Favourite genre of music?Oh okay, don't judge me but Pop music makes me groovy. I like Jazz too!
14. What are your hobbies?POWERLIFTING WITH MY BOO(it is super fun!) and pizza and netflix, take Protein to dog park
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Probably a dog whisperer, dog trainer. I AM A DOG PERSON, as you can see...ha
Comments are closed.