1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Iswarya and I create colourful content & miniatures using Paper. I graduated in electronics & communications but am happy and fortunate that I get to tap into my creative side by working in Design. My roots are from India and I currently reside in Hong Kong as a UX Designer . Though a concrete jungle, Hong Kong has a charm of its own which allows you to find the most vibrant colours that is a source of inspiration during the most gloomy days. I love creating colourful paper miniatures and seeing an idea take shape even at the end of a long working day is the most satisfying feeling :)
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Playful, Colourful and simple. I love to have fun with what I am creating, be it a pineapple or a tea pot and I always envision my miniatures having fun while being photographed J. I love to explore different colours and love to play with the intricate detailing on the miniatures to give them a vivid personality.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My Favourite medium is Paper. I love the feeling when you can create a 3d object with just a sheet of paper. It’s like solving a puzzle. I also love spray painting on different objects and create something fun.
4. What is your artistic process like?I get my ideas from random places at the most random times, So I always carry a sketchbook with me. But sometimes when I get into a creative rut, I watch a few Disney movies or take a walk on the streets to gather my thoughts and ideas as there is inspiration all around us.I Sketch every idea as a rough draft. Sometimes you can combine different mini ideas to create one really good image. No idea is bad J. Once I sketch, I start creating all the objects with paper and shoot them and edit them via Photoshop.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Disney is always my biggest inspiration. Disney taught me to look at every object as if it has a life of its own. I am always amazed and inspired by the attention to detail in Disney and I strive to achieve at least 10% of it my images.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I am always drawn towards colours. It’s like coffee to me. As I am working on creating colourful art, I observe every place that I go with a different perspective. No matter how gloomy the day is, something as random and simple as a yellow umbrella can also make a difference and brighten up my day thereby sparking an inspiration. I have learnt to appreciate beauty even at the worst times.
7. Where did you study?I studied Electronics and Communications Engineering in India.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I see myself going freelance and creating colourful content every day and still having fun at it.
9. What about in ten?I have a list of dream clients to work with. Hopefully in ten years, I have ticked off some in that list and I would really like to exhibit some of my artwork here in Hong Kong and take on more complex projects as I grow.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want my work to be an instant mood booster to everyone who is looking at it.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Ice cream !! ( I do eat desserts as main course J) and Dosa – a South Indian crepe !!
12. Favourite book?I am more of a comics person than books!!!
13. Favourite genre of music?Pop and R&B
14. What are your hobbies?I enjoy working on DIY projects.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?If I weren’t an artist, I would have been an interior designer. But to be very imaginative, I definitely would have been a panda keeper and spent my entire day taking care of baby pandas
Comments are closed.