1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hey Folks! My name's Jas. I was born in Germany but swiftly moved to the UK. Ive studied arty subjects my whole life, and am now coming towards the end of my second year at university studying illustration in the wonderful city that is Liverpool!
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Vibrant, fun and happy! I like to think that my personality reflects in my work. I just want to make people smile.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I work in a heap of different mediums so its hard to pick. I adore printmaking and gouache but usually turn to working in ink and then editing the colours, and re-arranging it all in photoshop! I've done a couple illustrations digitally but feel that the little imperfections I make when creating something by hand give my work authenticity and I enjoy that. So if I had to pick one it would defiantly be ink.
4. What is your artistic process like?For me to be productive I have to have a tidy desk. Tidy desk, tidy mind! I'll make myself a cup of tea as brain fuel, stick on some groovy tunes and start brainstorming. Once an idea pops into my head i'll grab my sketchbook and scribble down a load of messy idea's until i'm happy with a design. I'll then scan it and mess around with the colour's and composition on photoshop until I feel it's looking as i'd imagined - I feel like i'm always working towards what I picture in my head haha!
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Everything? - even though thats super cliché. Im big into illustration so i'm always scrolling through instagram drooling at all the amazing illustrations I see other artists create. And also being at university, we have lots of guest lecturer's that come in and talk to us about the practice and show us their work which is always awesome.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is a big part of my life, I cant imagine ever being able to view the world without my knowledge of all things arty! Im always judging typefaces used on signage/logo's or admiring colour schemes. Im constantly thinking up ideas for new illustrations, I even have a page on my phone where I jot down ideas that pop up in my brain when I least expect them to! - always just before i'm about to sleep, it cant just be me?
7. Where did you study?Liverpool John Moores university - it's so great!
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Yes defiantly. Ive always strived to work in illustration. I have an Etsy shop where I sell my art and have done for the last 3 years, and also do commissioned work on the side, so working for an agency would be a dream come true.
9. What about in ten?I'd love to be illustrating children's book's by then as thats the ultimate dream!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want to be able to create art that people will enjoy and love, have people notice my work and also make my parents proud □
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Either veggie lasagne or my mums Sunday roast! In fact, scrap that, I just love all foods!
12. Favourite book?I LOVE 'the Fox and the star' - the illustrations are phenomenal! But i'd probably go for 'we're going on a bear hunt', as that was my favourite book as a child and it has a special place in my heart.
13. Favourite genre of music?I listen to a bit of everything to be honest, but I love a bit of 60's music.
14. What are your hobbies?Im a massive home bird so when I can, I travel home to Shropshire and spend time with my family and partner, who are the greatest! But I love being out and about doing stuff, I don't feel productive if i'm stuck inside sat around. (unless i'm at my desk making funky art)
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I think it would have to be a florist, because flowers make everyone happy right?