Instagram: @jin.park_illust Grafolio: www.grafolio.com/jin0803
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello, I’m Hyojin Park(nickname_Jin) from South Korea who is a freelance illustrator. I worked as a UX Designer in Coupang(it’s the web-based shopping mall like Amazon in Korea). I liked my work but I had to move to Germany with my husband right after our marriage because of his work. It was a great chance for us and I thought I can do my work in Germany, too. But it was not. I got some jobs from Korea and worked in Germany. But I couldn’t continue to make a deal with Korean firms because of the distance between us. I thought that wouldn’t be a matter but actually, it was. It was a really hard time for me. From that time, I have been painting illustrations and posting them online. It helps me think positive and feels energetic. And, fortunately, I got chances as an Illustrator from German/Korean firms. I think I couldn’t stand that time without that. Now, illustration is a really big part of my life. I had a rest after I had a baby and I started my new series about ’24 Solar Terms’ on Instagram/Grafolio.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.As I mentioned in my story, the process of drawing and feeling fun is very important. I usually find those feelings when I use various colors. When I was young, I only use some specific colors when I design, but now, I can play with various colors when I draw something. I think that is a big step as a designer/illustrator. I also like to make a story in my illustrations. I draw things from our everyday life and finding interesting things between them. Sometimes that would be emotions, situation, culture or even just a single quote. Those things make the illustrations more interesting.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I normally use my tablet because I have been using it for a long time than other media. It’s the perfect medium to paint my ideas. Also, I can modify or correct my painting so easily. So, that’s why I love to use it.
4. What is your artistic process like?First of all, I set a topic for illustration. I normally pick the topic from our everyday life. Recently I paint ’24 Solar Terms’ in our daily life. It’s really fun to paint and easier to approach than inexperienced things. And then, collect the images for the illustration as references. With these references, I sketch my ideas. Among several sketches, I pick one. For this, I also make a color palette. I use color books or other designs/illustrations. I think that would be helpful to make the harmonized color palette. And then I paint and finish the illustration.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I usually get inspired by living with my family. In addition, I see the work of fellow illustrators and get inspiration from the video.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?As I begin to draw pictures, I look back on myself, and I always get interested in the world as I get to see new topics.
7. Where did you study?I majored in Industrial Design at Seoul Women's University and got a Master’s degree in Interaction Design from Kookmin University, Techno Design Graduate School.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I want to be a professional illustrator, even as a mother. Now, I am concentrating on personal work without much profit. But in the next five years, I hope to grow into an established illustrator in the industry.
9. What about in ten?I want to train my younger illustrators, to be an illustrator, and to share what I learned.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want to reach as many people as possible with my work.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?My favorite is sweet potato! Always!!
12. Favourite book?The lord of the rings! Absolutely!
13. Favourite genre of music?I cannot pick a specific genre. Recently I love to listen to Japanese City Pop.
14. What are your hobbies?I love to watch vlogs on youtube.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Well, I can’t imagine if I’m not an artist. I think I do something artistic things in another way.
Comments are closed.