Instagram: @josefinaschargo Website:: www.josefinaschargo.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I'm from a small town called San Pedro, near Buenos Aires, Argentina. I grew up in a big family. My mother and grandmother are artists and painting was encouraged from a very young age. I never stopped drawing and painting. At 18 I moved to Buenos Aires to study Fine Arts. After a year and a half that didn’t work and ended up changing majors to Fashion design.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I believe my aesthetic is very naïve and playful. I try to channel my sensibility and emotions through my drawings while hoping to get a smile from the viewer. I have a strong influence from the arts and crafts movement and painters like Rousseau and Matisse.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My favorite medium is Gouache. I love its opaque quality and I feel very comfortable painting with it.
4. What is your artistic process like?I’m a very cerebral person so I’m always thinking about it. I like to plan everything beforehand. When I sit to paint I already know what I’m going to do, I’m not very spontaneous in that way. Once I know what I’m doing I work pretty quickly with the brushes. After that, I scan everything and make a few touch-ups on the computer.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Mostly, everyday things like walks, foods and people around my neighborhood. Also other creatives, not only visual artists but chefs, actors or musicians. I love to take references from vintage pictures from the 1930’s/60s (my two favorite decades) and movies.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is basically everything in my life. I don’t recall a time when art wasn’t the main thing in my head. I’m always taking mental (and physical) notes from everything I see, hear or read.
7. Where did you study?I started Fine Arts at UNA (National Art University) and finished Fashion Design at UP (University of Palermo)
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I see myself working on big projects of surface design and books and hopefully having a studio!
9. What about in ten?It's really hard for me to think that ahead but I hope that in ten years I can have time to experiment more with my own work and develop personal “weird” projects.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to get the chance to share my point of view with others and maybe make their days a little brighter.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?My favorite food is “tortilla de papa” the one made by my mom or any Pizza I can find will do.
12. Favourite book?Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
13. Favourite genre of music?This is hard, I really like a lot of music. My favorites would be Folk, Jazz and classical music
14. What are your hobbies?I have a bunch of hobbies: playing the piano, swing dancing, baking, reading.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I know it’s another kind of artist but I believe I would be a musician.
Curated by @inspiracion.pattern.ar, Ballpitmag curator for Argentina
Comments are closed.