Instagram: @jtorresdg Behance: www.behance.net/dgjtorres
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in Monterrey, Mexico. I come from a family of printers, so I've always been surrounded by the design. My father is a printer, my sister is a designer and I have been involved in the area since my memory. I grew up and I wanted to study the career in Graphic Design, and here I am working on what I like. Currently, I work in an advertising agency, in my free time I do freelance work and also try to have some time to continue to experiment with more freedom my designs.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I always try to have that harmony between colors and shapes. I like to be constantly experimenting either in 3D or in advertising or brand design.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I like to start always from the pencil and the paper, (it makes me faster to lower the idea) and then move that idea to the digital medium.
4. What is your artistic process like?It is always good to start with references and inspiration, references do not always have to come precisely from the internet. Sometimes if you turn around or see a magazine, a book, etc. the idea can get you. Then I like to start plotting that idea on paper, (it's always good to have 2 or 3 proposals, never stick with the first idea) and finally take it to a 3D or 2D program, and that's it!
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I think the answer above, I always like to be inspired by what I see on the internet, magazines, music, even the weather of the day.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?For me it is very important, there is not a single day that is not in a paper or a design program. I can not imagine doing anything else.
7. Where did you study?At the Metropolitan University of Monterrey (UMM), the career of Graphic Design.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Maybe, I try to focus on the present and let time take its course.
9. What about in ten?Hopefully by those dates someone is better professionally. I have overcome year after year and not get stuck.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?To inspire people, to continue with this cycle of being now I can inspire someone else with my work.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love any pizza, (but more, pizza with pineapple, sorry, hahaha). Also the burgers.
12. Favourite book?Especially none, I love all books about art, design, typography, illustration, etc.
13. Favourite genre of music?All kinds of music genres, some more than others, but I feel that it is not good to be in a single musical genre.
14. What are your hobbies?The soccer and the series. If I'm not designed, I'm probably watching football.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Maybe Architect.