Instagram: @juppi.juppsen Facebook: www.facebook.com/juppijuppsen.illustration Giphy: www.giphy.com/juppijuppsen Website: www.juppijuppsen.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I’m Juppi Juppsen, a mostly self-taught illustrator and animation artist based in London, UK, originally from Stuttgart, Germany.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My work is inspired by films, comics and music I enjoy, as well as political events and the critical analysis of human behaviour. My visual influences are drawn from a fascination for comic books, video games, mythological imagery and everything gory, oozy and trashy.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?That would probably be Gif animation. I love the freedom animation gives me, to tell a story or simply add movement, but being a Gif still having the appeal of an artwork / picture. And also the challenge having to make it work as a loop.
4. What is your artistic process like?When I get inspired I immediately have a picture or moving pictures in my head. This idea becomes a sketch or gets realised right away. I’m not too good with keeping up enthusiasm for concepts over a long period of time, everyday new ideas evolve, so for me the best way is to use this early buzz and go with it.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Films, comics, music, people online, politics & history and my wife❤️
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Everything creative has always been a part of my life. Whether it's creating art, music, going to exhibitions. While not every piece I enjoy necessarily has to have a message, I think art is an important part and tool of communicating about critical current events, and to call attention to problems, especially in the times we're about to face.
7. Where did you study?I studied in Stuttgart, Germany, but it was rather technical and not really what I was looking for, so apart from nice people and basics in animation, I didn’t get much out of it.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Hopefully doing some great collaborations, creating a video game would be a dream of mine. If in an agency, it would have to be a creative animation studio working on a cartoon / animations for adult swim or something similar.
9. What about in ten?I don't really plan that much ahead and like to be flexible and see what the future brings. Living in a city somewhere warm and close to the ocean is definitely a goal□
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I'm hoping to make you smile, think, love or barf.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?To keep it simple I'd have to say Pizza, but I love to eat and to cook all kinds of international cuisines. Also: Swabian food□
12. Favourite book?As a kid it was 'Where the wild things are', later on I was really into graphic novels, especially the Alan Moore classics & the Lone Wolf and Cub series.
13. Favourite genre of music?It's hard to name just one. I love Hip Hop (mostly old school / boom bap), psychedelic / garage rock, stoner rock, some soul & some rocksteady.
14. What are your hobbies?Music, going to exhibitions, if I got the time and money: travel, video games.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A bird or a tiger would be cool!
Comments are closed.