Instagram: @jzoeliu Website: www.jzoeliu.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Originally from Taipei, Taiwan - I moved to England when I was about 3ish and I’ve been back and forth between the two places all my life. I was like most kids and loved colouring in and drawing on walls, but it wasn’t until I was 11 (I think) and my Grandma took me to a Bob Ross oil painting class at a shopping mall, my little mind was blown.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I would say, very flat. With lots of sharp edges. I work with a lot of shapes and I absolutely love creating atmosphere in my illustrations with colour and dramatic lighting.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?About 90% of the work I create is digital. But I really love watercolours. For someone who is incredibly impatient, watercolour is a very zen medium.
4. What is your artistic process like?Quite straightfoward, once the general idea/concept is formed. The idea is the hardest. Then it’s just sketching and onto Photoshop with my trusty Cintiq.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?So so many talented illustrators. Memphis Movement. Cubists. Cool menus/stationery. I could be here all day.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art to me has always been a way to bring to life something inside your head. I absolutely love looking at work and getting a peek into someone else’s imagination.
7. Where did you study?Illustration at Falmouth University, living by the sea was the best.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?A successful illustrator who’s happily busy. Hopefully I can manage a balance between working traditionally and digitally.
9. What about in ten?I’d love to be the person in a block of flats with the awesome balcony of plants and vegetables. That to me says “I have my shit together”.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Make people smile. If I’m being greedy, make them think of something happy.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Ramen. Noodles all day everyday.
12. Favourite book?There’s too many from too many genres. But I will say nothing makes me cry with laughter like Yotsubato (manga series), it’s hands down the best.
13. Favourite genre of music?My taste in music is equivalent to a 13 yr old girl. Who likes jazz when it rains.
14. What are your hobbies?Reading. Road trips, mainly to places that serve cool food. Running. Running off to different countries, that also have cool food.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A pianist. I don’t think I would’ve made it because I hate playing in front of people.
Comments are closed.