Instagram: @katieholmesillustration Twitter: @kh_illustration Website: www.katieholmesillustration.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello! My name is Katie and I’m an illustrator from West Yorkshire in the UK. I always knew I want a creative career but I only really found my passion a few years back when I learnt what illustration could actually be. I graduated last October and since then have been working an office job to set me on. I hope to be able to make illustration my full time job in the near future!
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I love working with colour, it’s usually one of the first things I consider when starting a new project. I try to make my work fun and whimsical and love combining hand drawn type within my work.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Definitely a pencil, a lot of my ideas come to me when I’m doing anything other than drawing so if I don’t get them down as quickly as possible I end up forgetting! I try to carry a sketchbook and pencils around so if and idea comes to me I’m prepared! I also use pencils a lot in my finished work as I think they give a really nice texture.
4. What is your artistic process like?I still do a lot of experimenting with the way I create my work; usually it’s different every time. But I mainly work everything up by hand with gouache and pencils and then scan and edit the images digitally. I also really love screen-printing but unfortunately don’t have access to any facilities at the moment!
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I love the work of Jonny Hannah, Melissa Castrillon, Amber Vittoria, William Grill, Mark Conlan, theres so many I won't name them all! Anything colourful with fun and quirky little characters or a nice composition usually grabs my attention and inspires me.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Without getting too deep it’s one of the few things I really care about or think is worth doing. I couldn’t stand all that’s going on in the world without some kind of escape through drawing!
7. Where did you study?I did a foundation year at Batley School of Art and then went on to do my BA at Cambridge School of Art.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Hopefully I will be working full time as an illustrator, potentially through an agency, it’s something I am definitely considering. I would love to have my own working studio with walls covered in artist’s prints and books and a little dog to keep me company!
9. What about in ten?In ten I would hope to have done some more travelling, but again having my own studio and doing what I love full time would be the dream. Possibly working towards becoming an Art director? Who knows!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I would love to inspire someone who isn’t sure about pursuing a career in the arts. It can be so difficult to decide what you want to do with your future but I’m a strong believer in doing what you love rather than what will bring you the most money!
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I have so many favourites, I really enjoy trying new foods but if I had to pick it would be between Mexican, Thai or Indian.
12. Favourite book?It’s got to be Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dhal.
13. Favourite genre of music?At the moment I’m really enjoying funk and soul but my favourite genre is probably rock music. I love Kings of Leon and The Strokes and Tame Impala
14. What are your hobbies?I’m quite into films and cinema. I also like eating nice food and drinking beer.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I’ve always thought being a florist would be a really nice job.
Comments are closed.