Instagram: @kdotclee Website: www.kdotclee.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in Seoul, South Korea and the family decided to ship over to Vancouver, Canada in the 2000s so I'm quite fluent in English and exceptionally terrible at math.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I dissect magazine images and illustrations, reminiscent of the 1950s to create the vision of the future in that time era. A bit nostalgic for some viewers and also futuristic in a surreal way.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Any form of art that really makes me see something completely different or something I've never realized in our fixated 3 dimensional world.
4. What is your artistic process like?Well, I usually go through pages and pages of magazines to cut while listening to tunes, then I organize them in several folders and then select the ones I want to use that day.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?People who aren't afraid of showing how they view the world or those that carry such strong ambition to push through negatively are the ones that inspire me the most. I'm terrible with names so that's the most vague answer I can give.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It keeps me sane at the same time insane haha. Creating these alternate dimensions of reality is just a way to escape from the rigid structure or formality of this life...which I think is a simulation really. Art, for me, in every shape or form is an escape. An escape from worrying about your 9-5 job, an escape from wondering whether you'll be able to afford rent this month, an escape from everything right and wrong in our society.
7. Where did you study?I'm more a doer type so I went straight to working after graduating high school. In other words, I was the typical pot headed teenager who thought he could live through life with a lighter and a bong. Mind you, I'm far from that kid, but I like to reminisce from time to time haha.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?5 years? I'd like to think that I'll stop working for a company and start working for myself creating whatever comes to my mind, but you know..5 years sounds long, but the more you age, the shorter the time feels so...we'll see what happens!
9. What about in ten?Ha. Why not 20? 30? I mean, in 10 years, I can see myself with a couple of mini me's running around...teach them how to math, take them to karate, go to their piano recitals..you know, the perfect stereotype of an asian family. Kidding...but I'd like to have kids one day.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope that whoever sees my artwork gains some perspective and purchases it at a ridiculous price so I never have to set my foot in a workplace again hahaha. The only achievement I hope with my art is to showcase it to everyone and I mean everyone.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Any food I can shove in my face.
12. Favourite book?The Ender's Game series
13. Favourite genre of music?Tunes that makes me groove.
14. What are your hobbies?I like to Netflix..that's a hobby now, isnt it? Cruise around on my motorcycle or longboard to clear my mind, and just trying to stay alive.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I'd be a potato.
Comments are closed.