Instagram: @kelsiemt_ Behance: www.behance.net/kelsiemt_
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I'm a 26 y/o Kiwi illustrator currently living the dream in Melbourne, Australia. I have been illustrating since I was a little kid when I used to draw my favourite Disney characters (Thumper!) on whatever paper I could get my hands on.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.At the moment I would say my aesthetic is very minimal and I mainly use a soft and muted colour palette. However, as I grow as an illustrator and as my tastes change, I see my own style changing and evolving so if you ask me again this time next year it might be something completely different.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I really enjoy pencil on paper to sketch out rough ideas but I love what you can do with digital art; being able to get perfectly smooth lines and really being able to push the boundaries of traditional art.
4. What is your artistic process like?My process is sometimes extremely temperamental. If a design or illustration isn't working I can get very frustrated or just lose interest in the project. I am my own harshest critic and sometimes I have half completed pieces for months before I am satisfied enough to say it is finished. There's nothing better than the feeling of finally getting the design or illustration to match what you imagined in the beginning.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?There are so many resources online for graphic designers and artists and I love looking through Instagram, Behance and Pinterest for inspiration. In particular, I think that The Design Kids are doing an awesome job of featuring up and coming designers on their Instagram as well as providing a great wealth of resources to tap into on their website.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I have worked as a designer in the marketing/advertising industry for a few years now which has opened my eyes to the huge role that consumerism plays in our 21st-century lives. I love the way art and design can influence ideas and change and hopefully, in the future, it will influence change for the better. Being a graphic designer and artist has made me constantly question why we do things the way we do and to think outside the box.
7. Where did you study?I have a Bachelor of Communication Design from Otago Polytechnic School of Design (Dunedin, NZ)
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Who knows! That question really scares me, I'm more of a live in the moment kind of person - I don't have a 5-year plan. We will just see what life throws my way ✌□️
9. What about in ten?See above.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?It would be awesome to leave a lasting mark on the world with my work - to be influential enough to make people care about the things I care about.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I don't have a particular favourite but there's an awesome vegan restaurant in Melbourne called Loving Hut. It's the bomb.
12. Favourite book?The Harry Potter series.
13. Favourite genre of music?Anything that isn't Top 40
14. What are your hobbies?Running, hanging with my pooch Luna, and very infrequently playing music.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Nothing, I would be nothing.