Instagram: @lunamonogatari Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Tpj5FbtPezaf1rFbTe8Nw Tictail: www.lunamonogatari.tictail.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I'm from Lisbon, Portugal, but I'm living in London. I studied Architecture in school and understood that it was not what I wanted to pursued in life, but I worked with many different ways of representing my vision and understood that visual arts was what i really wanted to do. I don't really like to label myself, because I feel like labels are very limiting. I like to experiment a lot in my studio, I work with clothing, accessories, ceramics, paintings, animation, illustration... As long as I am true to my vision and to this world I am trying to represent.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic can be very paradoxical because I love both minimalist drawings with simple lines and complex and colorful images. I guess I use the best of both worlds to achieve a balanced composition in the images I reproduce.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I'm still very traditional, I guess. I still prefer to draw with my pencil and ink the drawing later on.
4. What is your artistic process like?I start with sketching and building up from there, after I'm happy with the result I ink my drawing on a new sheet with the help of a light table and then color it digitally on photoshop, where I also add other effects and correct minor details.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?My biggest inspiration is Studio Ghibli, I guess it is because the animations is so beautiful and simple and yet it happens in these amazing paintings that serve as backgrounds for the scenes. It is the perfect example of harmony between a super detailed piece and animation with simple lines.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I can't even imagine a world without art. Art is everywhere. The way you choose to dress yourself, the way you decorate your house, even the way you talk or move, all of that is art, it defines who you are and your personality. I don't think there's even a world without it!
7. Where did you study?I studied Architecture in Lisbon (bachelor's degree) and Architecture (Master's Degree) in Gent, Belgium.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I hope in five years I have accomplished at least half of my "goals list", I hope I can still run my own studio and work from there but at the same time travel around the world for exhibitions, collaborations with other artists/brands. I also hope my clothing brand has grown a lot by then. Mixing illustration with clothing is one of my favorite things to do.
9. What about in ten?In 10 years I hope I have done everything I wanted to do in 5 plus an animation movie, or something connected to the cinema world! (like short films, at least!)
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I once listened to an interview with Grimes, where she says that art has the power to change a society's mindset. And that is the true power within art. It is when what you do is so powerful that changes the way a person leads their life, for example, or their beliefs, or just starts question certain things and becomes a better person in general. For me my ultimate goal is to know that my art is contributing for a better world, and that humankind (and all other kinds) benefit from it. I don't know if my art will ever be this powerful but that's what I'm hoping for, even if it takes my entire life.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Sushi and Pasta. I could eat sushi and pasta all day, everyday. (Not together though... Or maybe together, why not?)
12. Favourite book?Anything by Haruki Murakami, and since it is hard to choose I'd say The Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
13. Favourite genre of music?I don't think I have one. When I am working I'll probably listen to video games soundtracks because it is proven that the way the music is done helps your brain concentrate, but I appreciate all kinds of music, I learned to accept that there is no such thing as a bad genre of music, all genres are great! The quality within each genre is what changes.
14. What are your hobbies?I love running and exercising, it is important for me to keep me active and energetic. I also spend a lot of time traveling, visiting museums and going to the movies. All of these experiences contribute to my art, I want to lead a life where I can say that (almost) everyday is exciting and I hope I have many stories to tell when I'm old.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I'd probably be something connected to the cinema world. It is something I'm keeping open, actually. I'd love to know what it feels like to be a filmmaker or an actress, I still have time, let's see where life takes me!
Comments are closed.