1. What's your story? Where are you from?I'm María Hesse, an illustrator from Sevilla, South of Spain. I studied to be a teacher, but I always dreamt about pursuing my creative side, so I quit teaching to become a full time illustrator.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.In my illustrations you will see a lot of women and white space. I like to mix naif ideas with a dark touch and even some erotism.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I usually paint with Gouache and watercolor on cotton paper. But mostly gouache because it allows me to mix colors in the paper and for how dense the colors are.
4. What is your artistic process like?It depends on the project, but I usually take a few days to think about what I'm going to paint, and at the same time I keep working on other drawings. Once I have the idea there are projects where I paint several sketches and others where the artwork comes out straight.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Especially cinema and photography. Although music and literature are sources of inspiration too.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?For me it´s a very important part of my life. It has helped me overcome difficult times since my childhood. I don't think I could live without drawing. I'm so lucky I have become an illustrator and art occupies most of my day. It's a privilege.
7. Where did you study?I studied at the San Telmo Art School in Málaga, Spain.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I don't know, I've learned to set small goals. But life can always surprise you bringing things you couldn't even imagine. I'm focused on living and enjoying the present moment, which is very good right now.
9. What about in ten?Hehehe I'll be painting for sure. I would like to work on new projects, like painting big murals or having exhibitions abroad, but hopefully I won't have to wait ten years to do these things.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I just want to enjoy it as long as I can.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I'm very greedy and I have a hard time choosing, but I'd say it's black label cured Iberian ham.
12. Favourite book?Not my favorite, but it marked an important stage of my life: Demian by Herman Hesse.
13. Favourite genre of music?I like different genres of music but now I'm betting on the local music scene, so I'll tell you several groups from my home city, Seville: Hi Korea, Marina Gallardo, I am Dive, Fiera or Terry vs Tori.
14. What are your hobbies?Traveling, reading, watching movies, eating, listening to music.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I always dreamed of being a singer, but I sing really bad, so I think I would like to be a cook.