Instagram: @marnie_cox Website: www.marniecox.co.uk
1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Marnie, I’m 22 and I’m from a place called Surrey in the UK, but I’ve been living in Leeds for the past three years and hoping to move to London soon!
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Fun, colourful, bold, chunky and I guess it’s quite playful- almost childlike? I love exploring different colour palettes, though I usually seem to be drawn to the primary colours.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Screen printing probably, I love the whole process as well as the outcome (I used to hate doing it though which is funny.) Recently as well I’ve been experimenting with some wooden objects which I’ve been really enjoying. I'm desperate to get into mural painting/producing larger scale work though so this could take over.
4. What is your artistic process like?Everything always starts with a mechanical pencil drawing, lots of rubbing out and re-drawing lines. I usually make digital versions of things before turning them into anything else, I find if I love something I’ve created I’ll turn it into a screen print or a wooden figure, I think my work suits those mediums quite well.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?People, the people around me; my family, friendships and relationship, and I guess just life really! A book called ‘A dictionary of colour combinations’ inspire some of the colour palettes I use, and different places I visit!
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It’s something I’ve done and been interested in all my life really, so I don’t think I know any different. It’s something I find quite rewarding, it relaxes me and I feel happy when I create something I’m proud of.
7. Where did you study?I studied illustration at Leeds Arts University.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Hopefully still making work I'm proud of and having fun with it. I’d love to be able to have a job doing something I love, and something which allows me to carry on with personal work; I've only just finished uni though so at the moment I don't even know what I'll be doing in a few months time!
9. What about in ten?Good question. I don’t really think that far ahead, but I hope I have a dog by then.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I’d like to make people feel things, good things, different emotions. I try to make my work quite fun and happy so I’d hope this reflects on whoever is viewing it.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Scotch eggs.
12. Favourite book?Every Harry Potter book!
13. Favourite genre of music?I listen to most genres of music, it depends what mood I'm in- but probably old indie rock?
14. What are your hobbies?Crocheting, I like making clothes to wear. Hanging out with my friends and family, eating, exploring new places, going to festivals, and I’ve recently started watching true crime videos on YouTube and I’m obsessed!
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I really can't imagine doing anything else- but I'd say it would be something in the music industry like event/festival organisation.
Comments are closed.