Instagram: @martharivas.il Website: www.martharivas.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I´m a Spanish illustrator. I was born in Madrid where I have lived since then. This crazy and crowded city with all the people who inhabit its streets every day, the hustle and bustle inspire me. I studied Fine Arts and Illustration, now I work as a freelance as well as I teach illustration at IED. I love getting involved in different projects and I organize a self-publishing event every year with a few friends: Grapa10. Besides, I am working with some mates organizing assemblies about the state of the play and the rights of the illustrators. One of the last projects I am involved is the recent co-founding of a children magazine named Kiwi.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I think my strokes, shapes and colours evolution every day. My work process is always changing. I try to do it better and improve every time, having as a goal not getting repeated. I love vibrant colours and strong shapes, especially I love drawing characters that I saw in the underground or in the market, people that introduce in my stories. I like to generate a funny and special world.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?In my case, it all started on paper. After that, usually I work with digital mediums. I am interested in trying many different things when I´m working and the digital process allows me to do it faster. I change my illustration hundreds of times before I consider it is properly finished.
4. What is your artistic process like?I spend most of my time working on ideas, for me is very important. When I have decided what idea I am going to tell, I make many small sketches. Then, I draw on paper the final sketch and finally I work on digital.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?People inspire me, their clothes, their conversations… I am very curious (not stalker hahaha), cities inspire me too. Of course music, books (I am addicted), and films. Above all I find inspiration in small things in the every day life.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Drawing is very important for me. I know it may sound something topical, but when I draw I feel good and I get to say things that I could not express otherwise. I don´t know if I can change something with my point of view but I'm sure I'll have a good time while I try it.
7. Where did you study?I studied a Fine Arts degree in UCM and Illustration in Artediez, one of the best schools of illustration in my opinion, teachers are great!
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Mmm… I´m not sure! I think I see myself working and teaching, doing the things I love.
9. What about in ten?I'd rather think of what I'm going to prepare for dinner tonight. Leave something to the imagination!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I pursue being happy with my work, growing every day as a person and as a professional and luckily transmit a piece of my world and that joy I put in my work. And something that pays the bills, indeed hahaha
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I´m insane for codfish!
12. Favourite book?I can´t answer this question, I love books too much to choose only one.
13. Favourite genre of music?I love jazz, old rock, 60´s sounds… I´m eclectic. I have a obsession: songs with claps!
14. What are your hobbies?I like to get lost in bookstores and travel as much as I can. My dream is to dance swing like a star but I'm too clumsy.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Cats live very well, I think...
Comments are closed.