Instagram: @martynawojciksmierska Twitter: @martyna_wu Facebook: www.facebook.com/martynawojciksmierska Behance: www.behance.net/martynawojcik Tumblr: martynawojcik.tumblr.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in 1985. I am a graphic designer and illustrator from Poland. I live and work in Warsaw.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My work is evolving all the time, I am still looking for the perfect form of expression, I sketch, draw, take notes. Some of my illustrations show the tendency to a form geometrization. Moreover, I like playing with composition and perspective a lot, I deform it on purpose. I try to find the balance between the colour, texture (Textures and patterns are very important elements in my works. I believe that they vitalize my illustrations, complement them. They are very important.)
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I value classical art and graphics very much. Perhaps that is why my illustrations look like printmaking, although everything is created in the computer by means of digital media. I create textures, layers’ shifts and unequal colours. I like graphics to have texture and depth very much.
4. What is your artistic process like?While preparing illustrations for articles I always first familiarize myself with the text, sometimes I read it a few times to find out the key, which will be used to build the entire narration. At the same time I make some notes and simple sketches with ideas. I immediately start working at the computer. I draw particular elements which need to be present in my illustration. Then I start working at their texture and then I reach the composition phase – this stage of work is the best, it is a play (I usually create many variants of my illustrations and I have problems choosing the best one). Of course, the best situation is when I have a few days to prepare an illustration and I can peacefully create my world and take pleasure from drawing.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Surrealistic and symbolic painters, whose works are full of ideas, metaphors and symbols, it always influenced my works. I appreciate the Cubist works very much because I like the tendency to a form of geometrization.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art and drawing is all my world! I have a lucky because it’s my hobby and my job. The art of illustration engulfed me very much.
7. Where did you study?I graduated from the upper secondary school of fine arts, and then I started studying graphic design at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun. I graduated from these studies in 2010.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I still want to run my business and draw illustrations because I really love this job. I have my own business for 6 years so I can draw whatever I want and realize only the most interesting projects.
9. What about in ten?I still want to be drawing :)
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I wish my art to reach the most possible audience and gained appreciation.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I really like meeting with my friends. Spend time talking, listening to music and eating good food. I don't have a favorite food but I like trying something new and maybe home pizzas and seafood :)
12. Favourite book?I really like reading biographies, my favorites are about: Pablo Picasso and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.
13. Favourite genre of music?When I work I listen to a lot of electronic music.
14. What are your hobbies?In addition to drawing, I have some small hobbies :) I like to cook for my friends. I have also a small cactus plantation and some of my plants reach about 1.5m!
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Well, maybe an interior designer or a farmer producing cheese :)