Instagram: @metekaplaneker Behance: www.behance.net/metekaplaneker
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi, my names is Mete Kaplan Eker. I’m living in Istanbul. I was born in 1986, in Tarsus and I grew up in Mersin. I graduated from the Faculty of Fine Arts and Textile Design department in Marmara University. I am currently working as an illustrator with a lot of agencies, brands, magazines and publishing houses. My work has been featured in many magazines, books and exhibitions.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I would see my works as shades of darkness. I like working in contrast and antique colors onto a dark background. Dark tones deepen the sense of my works even more. I work mainly on figure and floral patterns, and I also use crayons, watercolors and aging effects frequently.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?It varies from one work to another. If the work must be given to the customer in a short period, I would work completely digital. I mix digital, marker and watercolor according the effects that I want to create in my personal works. Especially, I love the effects of watercolor and gouache on a paper. They completely reflect the taste of a handwork.
4. What is your artistic process like?Before starting drawing, I read in a quiet place to see, if there are texts related to the subject. And then, it comes to the imagination part. At this stage, music is my biggest helper. Soft music extremely helps me dream. After that, my ideas transform into sketches on the paper. I finish my work in digital or classic technique according to the space where my work will be staged on.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Renaissance art is the biggest source of my inspiration. Although my works do not exactly look like them, I try to reflect deepness in their dark colors and elegant gestures & posture in their figures on my works. So to speak, the works from this historical age have its own spirits. Beside that, travelling and music... I travel as much as possible. Every place that I travel to provides me with new stories.
6. What role does art play in your life?My existence is linked to art. I never had another passion bigger than art. Art sends me away from insipidity of the life.
7. Where did you study?I graduated from Marmara University Faculty of Fine Arts Textile Design department in Istanbul.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I’m really bored working in companies. I hope, I’m going work as freelancer in the future.
9. What about in ten?It’s really a distant future. But I want a small studio, quiet life and draw what I want.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I want to transmit my work to the world and take people away from the ordinary life.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Types of steak. For example Florence steak with a glass of red wine.
12. Favourite book?Paul Johnson, Creators: From Chaucer and Durer to Picasso and Disney.
13. Favourite genre of music?I love all types of music. Every genre give me a different inspiration. But I mostly listen blues, latin, indie.
14. What are your hobbies?Travelling, snowboarding and cycling.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?If I weren’t an artist, I would be a traveller. I really love to see new places, new cultures.
Comments are closed.