1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Mickael «Patiño » Brana, I’m a young artist & illustrator. I’m from the Basque Country in France. I started to draw and to be interested in art when I was already 20 years old, so more or less 7-8 years ago.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I’m trying to create my own universe which is mainly a mix of weird animals, funny monsters, strange humans as well as organic forms, plants, masks, symbols, semi-abstract forms, patterns, lettering and anthropomorphism figures. My aesthetic is a mix between Urban Art, Expressionism, Surrealism, Primitivism, Illustration, 50's Cartoon, Children's book, Psychedelia, Doodle Art, Folk Art, Cubism, Graphic Design, Skate Art, etc.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I don’t have one favorite medium because I use to get bored pretty quite and like to change and try new things quite often. For example 2-3 years ago, I was doing a lot of black and white pen drawing on paper but I got really tired of it. Now I’m into acrylic paintings and I’m thinking to explore new mediums like kind of wood sculpting soon.
4. What is your artistic process like?I use to write and sketch all the things I’ve got in my head in a A4 sketchbook.Then when I start a new project I always started to draw a really rough and little sketch to see the main composition and think about the colors, and I use to refer a lot to my sketchbook for the ideas or the things to draw. I like to have a direction to follow about composition and colors, but I also need to improvise a lot on the moment in order to enjoy the process.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I find my inspiration in so many different things ! Of course a lot of past and present artists and illustrators but also the Nature, science, humanity, duality, ancient civilisation, philosophy, spirituality, anthropology, sociology, psychology, the mystery of life, etc. For example right now I’m reading a book about Carl Gustav Jung and sure he’ll inspire me a lot !
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art has a huge role in my life. As I said I started to draw when I was already 20 years old and since them I have grown a lot and I took every decision toward the goal of making art and getting better even if it can be quite hard in this society… Art make me understand who I am a bit better, it opened my mind and my curiosity about life in general. For me Art is the center of everything in my life, every experience I have, everything I learn can be use in my art. It also become more and more as a spiritual practice.
7. Where did you study?I have been in a bad design school for about 2 years where I didn’t learn anything, and I start a degree in illustration but I let it pretty quick. So I have learnt everything by myself.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I definitively see myself living in an other country than France, and hopefully making a living from my work and keep experimenting and evolving everyday ! I hope to paint some big walls and make some 3D pieces like sculpting also.
9. What about in ten?I hope to be happy, make art and music, keep learning, travel the world thanks to my work would be great !
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to develop my graphic universe in 2D and 3D and also make my own music to be able to mix both of them in something unique and original. I have many ideas but it takes time… I want to blur the boundaries between fine art, illustration, primitive art and urban art.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Hum I don’t know, don’t have a favorite one, but I’m always happy to cook and to eat a Tortilla de Patata !
12. Favourite book?« On the Road » by Kerouac has been important for me when I was a teenager.
13. Favourite genre of music?I really like Latin music but I use to listen a lot of different styles from a lot of different countries.
14. What are your hobbies?Currently I like to walk on the mountains with my dog, ride my bike until the beach, read, play guitar, watch soccer games or cook sometimes.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?When I was 18 years old I didn’t know what to do so I listen my parents and I studied business, but when I understood I was here to make Art I knew that I couldn't be anything else but an Artist, it’s a struggle but it’s what I need to do and what I’ll keep doing.
Comments are closed.