Instagram: @nao_tatsumi Twitter: @nao_tatsumi Website: wwwa.naotatsumi.net
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I’m an artist and illustrator based in Tokyo, Japan. I was born in Fukushima. I carry the project “Street View Journey” since 2017. “Street View journey” means that I draw attractive landscapes that I found around the world with Google Street View through my own colour sense and filters.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.For the contemporary approach to the art, I think that the fascination of using Google street view as a choice of painting motifs is that you can go to search for the scenery around the world through “no one’s eyes” (that is to say, Google street view vehicle’s eye). I can share this scene as neutral information with people all over the world, and show them my painting as a consequence of looking at it from my subjective point of view.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Oil paint. It gives paintings depth and meticulousness. And it's interesting to choose the old technique for this contemporary theme.
4. What is your artistic process like?Go anywhere I like, virtually of course, and paint.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Actually, I gave up on being an architect, but now when I paint, I realise that the atmosphere of all architecture and its surroundings influence my works.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I feel that I finally found the way to live and became to be able to show who I am.
7. Where did you study?I graduated from architectural design of art, University of Tsukuba and studied illustrations at Aoyama-juku and HB-juku in Tokyo.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Working on bigger paintings.
9. What about in ten?Working on bigger and bigger paintings.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Giving someone's mind a tiny scratch.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Sushi, tofu, cheese and wine
12. Favourite book?All novels of Haruki Murakami
13. Favourite genre of music?Mellow music
14. What are your hobbies?Watching a movie, reading books, walking with dogs
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I feel fear when I think about that, but…definitely creating something whatever it is.