Instagram: @nina.fernande Facebook: www.facebook.com/nina.fernande.9 Website: www.ninafernande.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello I’m Nina Fernande (1987) I grew up in a small town in the south of the Netherlands. Later, I moved to Rotterdam where I finished my studies and started to work. I was brought up in a very artistic family where creation was always stimulated. So it happened that I developed a drawing style and an idea of aesthetic before I gained my concious. At the moment, I’m immensely fond of making prints in any form, silkscreen prints, photocopies on fax machines or putting stuff in letterpresses. I’m also fascinated by mass production, even though I know it kills the word it fascinates me how we can make things in such large amounts, and in this way things almost lose their value but at the same time their value increases.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My style is a mix of graphic design, icon design and illustrations. Its appearance is mostly happy. I never really thought about creating a visual style. It was always there, but when I look at the drawings I made when I was a kid I can see I’m still striving for the same aesthetic.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I don’t have a favorite medium but drawing on paper is always the beginning of everything.
4. What is your artistic process like?I have a hard time describing this. But this quote comes close. “I begin because I don’t have the strenght to think; I finish because I don’t have the courage to quit.” (Fernando Pessoa).
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?When I was younger the bookshelf of my parents provided me the most of my inspiration. Some dutch/Belgian writers have had big influence on my work and my persona but since Inspiration can be found anywhere, traveling is a good source of inspiration.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?How can we live without expressing our soul?
7. Where did you study?I studied first Graphic design at Sint Lucas in the south of the Netherlands. After that I studied Illustration at the artschool of Rotterdam. I took part in an erasmusprogram in Paris.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I don’t really think in this kind of goals. I hope I’ll be more close to what I consider the perfect style of my drawing. But I know this is unreachable. So in ten years…
9. What about in ten?I will live in a house stocked with all my drawings, paintings and sculptures. Still thinking about how to improve and also hoping that all my work would somehow disappear, so I woud be free to think clearly and than come to the conclusion that I have to do the same all over again.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope that I’d be able some day to make a drawing so perfect (considered in my own style) that I master it so well that there is no point in taking it furter. That I reach my ultimate aestetic
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Coffee and chocolate
12. Favourite book?Selected Prose of Fernando Pessoa.
13. Favourite genre of music?Lo-fi electro and the music of my boyfriend (he plays jazz harmonica)
14. What are your hobbies?I reading and patting animals
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A dog chasing a ball
Comments are closed.