Instagram: @oriol__vidal Website: www.oriolvidal.es
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello! My name's Oriol Vidal, illustrator and storyboard artist from Barcelona, Spain. As many other artists (I think), my hobby became my profession. I liked drawing since I was a child and I still love it!
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I think I'm influenced by the old school manga style. I watched a lot of TV show when I was a kid. So, you can see that in my illustrations. I also like to depict scenes with kids-teens characters and their relationships.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I started with traditional mediums a long time ago, but I work 100% digitally right now. If I have to choose one, I would try acrylic on wood panels. I used to paint big pictures with that medium, and I really miss it!
4. What is your artistic process like?Basically, all starts with a manuscript/brief/idea. Once thinking about that, I try to figure out what I want to communicate in my mind. As soon as I have the right image in my head, I usually spend a lot of time "googling" references, info, etc. I think it's the most important part of the projects. Then it's time to sketching, clean-up and finally coloring the illustrations.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I have a lot of artists who inspire me. But daily little things usually are a treasure as an inspiration. My wife, Ángeles Ruiz, also a talented illustrator, is a great reference for me. People like Pascal Campion, Tatsuro Kiuchi, Tadahiro Useugi, Nicolas Delort amongst many others, are wonderful artists to learn from.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Well, art is a big part of my life as I work for a living. As you have to dive a lot in the projects, sometimes there are heart-touching ones.
7. Where did you study?I studied at Universitat de Barcelona. I have a bachelor's degree from there. I also made some other courses focused on animation, graphic design, etc...
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I hope to keep working in illustration and animation industry. And in a big studio than my current one :)
9. What about in ten?Maybe the same above. I would like to restart painting big pictures with acrylic on wood panels.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Make people happy.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I like to eat varied food. Paella, salads, fish, burgers...and especially french fries and chocolate. Maybe I'm an addict :D
12. Favourite book?I don't have any favourite book. However, I like to read noir novels or sci-fi ones, too.
13. Favourite genre of music?Eclectic. Dance, rap, pop, trash metal, classical, house, brit-pop...
14. What are your hobbies?Go outside with the family to the mountains, beach... I also like to watch good films or tv series. I recently saw GOLIAT, from Amazon Prime. I really liked it!
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I'm not sure. I also studied science in high school, so maybe I would be an engineer, architect or something like that.