Instagram: @paradoxich Facebook: www.facebook.com/ana.beverin Tumblr: paradoxich.tumblr.com Dribbble: www.dribbble.com/Paradoxich
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello! I’m Ana Beverin and I come from a little town situated on the coast of Croatia called Zadar. Currently, I’m living in Zagreb, finishing graduate study and working. My study was pretty broad so I’ve spent last couple of years working on my skills and trying to figure out in which direction to go, but illustration was always lurking around the corner. Apart from doing illustration, I’m also a digital designer and I’m experimenting with motion design from time to time.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.It’s minimal and colorful. Or just plain black and white, it depends on how I’m feeling. I like patterns, shadows, surrealism and weird stuff.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Digital. I’ve always spent much of my free time on computer and it just came naturally. It gives me more creative freedom. Most of my traditional works are done on paper with rapidograph, but I’m experimenting with gouache and watercolors, just trying to find myself.
4. What is your artistic process like?Sometimes I get a feeling and I want to illustrate it, so I try to think of situations, places and colors which give you that feeling. I’m pretty emotional. Or I get a random vision of an idea and I try to recreate it. Or just sit down and experiment until the idea emerges.. It really depends. If it’s commercial then I do some research, sketches, moodboards, until I find the best way to illustrate that particular project. Most of my time is spent on picking colors, I’m color blind, mild protan, so I want to make sure everything is right in that department.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Emotions, situations, memories, deadlines. My usual subjects are people, mostly women because they are very aesthetically pleasing. One of my favourite artists is Malika Favre, so the influence is probably pretty visible.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I’ve been drawing and creating things since I remember. When I was little, sewing clothes for my toys, making dolls from branches and textile, and drawing were my ways of spending time. So it has always been a part of my life, I have an urge to create. Lately, I’ve started to observe things around me more, and I regularly find myself daydreaming or visualising an idea.
7. Where did you study?I got my bachelor degree at the Polytechnic of Zagreb, IT design, and now I’m finishing graduate study in Multimedia at the Faculty of Graphic Arts, University of Zagreb.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?At the moment, I’m in a hunt for experience, you know, just to understand the world around me and how life works. I’d like to travel more in that period and perfect my skills and style of illustration.
9. What about in ten?Become an Art Director, start mentoring people. Who knows, it’s a long way.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Tell stories. Make people feel things. Express my weird self.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Ah, I really like to eat well and experiment with different cuisines, but I’m starting to appreciate more and more our mediterranean cuisine. And I’ve always been the biggest fan of our local, lamb on a spit.
12. Favourite book?Can’t say which one is favourite, but the best I’ve read in a while is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
13. Favourite genre of music?I listen to more genres of music then I can remember so it’s hard to decide. It depends on the situation and how I’m feeling at the moment.
14. What are your hobbies?Photography, watching movies, animated mostly, drinking beer, watching the life go by, stressing myself out, just the normal stuff.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Cat. Definitely a cat.
Comments are closed.