Instagram: @paulinegttn Tumblr: www.guipaulin.tumblr.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Salut! My name’s Pauline and I was born in Paris, where I grew up. After some arts studies in the north of France and one year aboard in Vietnam, I’m back in the capital - where I started being a student again! (Because why wanting to be a responsible adult ever? Boring) So, currently, I’m an animated movies student and simultaneously a freelancer illustrator.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I guess I’m still trying to find it ! And it’s always evolving. But I have a certain attraction to patterns and graphic compositions.
3. What is your favorite medium and why?I was recently able to purchase a Cintiq, so I mostly work on Photoshop now. But when I fill my sketchbooks I essentially use colored pencils and ink liners, because they are easy to carry on and you can count on them for an easily good finish.
4. What is your artistic process like?I constantly try to create an atmosphere or deliver a sensation I’ve experienced within my drawings. Sometimes I start by applying the main colored flat areas (especially when I want to set an ambiance) and I add details step by step; and some other times I start with the lines and think about the colors later. But every time I begin by doing little thumbnails to arrange my compositions.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I had the chance to grow up surrounded by wonderful illustrated story books (thanks Mom and Dad!). I guess that’s what influenced me the most to do art studies and gave me the desire to tell stories. However as I studied in a Fine Arts school, my inspirations are really abundant and varied - from classical to contemporary art, but also experimental movies and animation (off course). They change all the time! These days I’m quite obsessed with old Japanese prints though.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art – mainly drawing - is the first way I express myself in life. I attempt to find back the ease we had as kids to be amazed by anything. Every situation can be transformed into an adventure, every feelings can be transposed and become a play with the reality’s perception you have. I am never bored !
7. Where did you study?I have a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, from the Fine Arts School of Caen (a French city in Normandy), and now I’m studying animated filmmaking at the Gobelins School (in Paris) and I love it! Each time you learn a new way of expressing yourself in art, new horizons open !
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?Finally out of school! Haha. And working in a cool animation movies studio I hope !
9. What about in ten?Still drawing to deliver feelings to people, whether it is trough illustration or animation - and doing it while traveling all around the world would be even better.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?To give people a bit of something to dream about ?
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Oh my, such a hard one. I just love to eat in general. But I have to say that during my year in Vietnam I had the chance to taste some of the best dishes I ever ate, so I will go with Vietnamese food.
12. Favourite book?I think I have difficulty with the “favorite” thing generally. Among the last books I read, I especially liked Petit Pays[Little Country] by Gael Faye. Otherwise, I love Haruki Murakami’s books, and also have a special crush for Métaphysique des Tubes(I think it’s The Character of Rainin English) by Amélie Nothomb.
13. Favourite genre of music?I know that people who answer “I’m listening to everything” are often criticized , but I’m one of them haha, sorry.
14. What are your hobbies?If I had to pick one, it would be travels. I would be traveling all the time if I could. And drawing off course. Cause yeah, drawing is what I do for a living but it is still also my main hobby. Forever.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A witch. (I’m still depressed I never received my letter to Hogwarts. But I’m still hoping. )
Comments are closed.