Instagram: @petecromer Facebook: www.facebook.com/petecromercreative Website: www.petecromer.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I’m Pete, an artist based on the surf coast of Victoria in Australia.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I like creating bright and bold artworks including collages, paintings, and sculptures. I have a tendency to use blob like forms to help create personality and movement in my works.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I change my mediums all the time. Paper is always my fall back because it’s so versatile. It gives my time to play with the artwork more. Currently I am experimenting in resin artwork that is the complete opposite because it sets so quickly. I enjoy getting out of my comfort zone.
4. What is your artistic process like?If anything it’s more like a puzzle. It’s problem solving. I have an image or idea in my head and I need to work on it until I get the solution. My pieces change colour and shape a lot. I just like to dive on in with an idea just to see what happens.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?My main inspiration comes from my friends and the people I love. They fill me with bursts of creativity that inspires my work. I also love the local bird wildlife; birds have such wicked and cheeky personalities that I’m drawn too.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?I have no idea how to answer this question. I live in a bubble, my own little world, and the art I create is an extension of that. I invite people to visit, like how I enjoy visiting others in their little worlds.
7. Where did you study?I studied Visual Communication at Monash University in Melbourne. Fun years.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I have no idea; I just go with the flow and let the universe dictate that.
9. What about in ten?Same as the last question, but probably living somewhere warmer.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Happiness. We all have a lot of battles in our daily life and I hope my work acts as reminder that things are ok, that there is good in the world.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I eat everything. I love food. French cooking and chocolate are the best.
12. Favourite book?To be honest, I don’t have the attention span to read. Never have. I need short stories with lots of visuals to keep me engaged. Dr Seuss is amazing. I’m the same with movies, I lose interest within 10 minutes.
13. Favourite genre of music?When I’m creating its hip-hop. When I’m driving its power ballads. When I’m at the gym its heavy metal. When I’m drunk its dancey dance techno beats.
14. What are your hobbies?I enjoy burning excess energy at the gym. I also love Pokémon (everything to do with it) and doing things in the sun.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I think I would still be making something…something like cheese or wine. They would be awesome jobs.