1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
Hello, I'm Sakuya Higuchi. After working as a stationery designer, I became a freelance painter from Japan.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
I express my work simply with a few colors but I put my heart into drawing. Sometimes, I add abit of humor.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
I like to draw digitally but especially also with pencils, pens and cray-pas (it's similar to oil pastel). I like to use painting materials such as. It makes my heart is happy.
4. What is your artistic process like?
I mainly draw using a painting material called Cray-pas (it's similar to oil pastel.) and I also use a computer.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
I am influenced by various people and things but most of my ideas are influenced mainly by my daily life. For example, when I'm eating or taking a strolling, after watching TV or a movie, etc.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
It's a communication tool to relax my mind and to interact with the world.
7. Where did you study?
I studied at a vocational school and even when I was a designer, I learnt a lot.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I don't know but I always have the feeling that “You never know what life has in store for you” .
9. What about in ten?
I want to continue drawing happily.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
I want to be able to draw more fascinating paintings.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
I have a lot of favorite food but I would be happy if I had Japanese mixed rice, miso soup, Japanese fried chicken and Japanese style croquettes.
12. Favourite book?
Yube no karē, Ashita no pan (last night's curry, tomorrow's bread) by Izumi Kizara and Tengoku wa mada tōku (heaven is still far away) by Maiko Seo.
13. Favourite genre of music?
I listen to various music depending on my mood and situation. Especially soundtracks that are uplifting.
14. What are your hobbies?
Eating and strolling.
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
I can't think of anything.