Instagram: @sallywestart Twitter: @sallywestart Facebook: www.facebook.com/sallywestart LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/sallywestart
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I grew up in Central NSW of Australia on a sheep and wheat farm. I went to boarding school in the city when I was 12. It was here that I was introduced to art. It’s all I have ever wanted to do.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I love beautiful colours, light and texture.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I love oil paint because it is so luscious, the colours are rich and after over 20 years of exploring the medium I feel like I am finally comfortable with it.
4. What is your artistic process like?When I go plein air painting I usually arrive at my studio at about 8:30am after dropping my kids at school. I pack my car full of painting gear and head off to the location (which I usually decide either the night before or earlier that morning - all depending on the wind direction and general weather conditions). Once at the location I set up and paint as quickly and spontaneously as possible. I usually work on a large piece and then some smaller studies, before I photograph works, pack up, drive back to studio, unload paintings and then go home, where I download the images of the works to my computer.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I am inspired by many artists that I see on the internet, I love seeing what other people are doing. I am also inspired by my environment.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art is my sanity, it keeps me happy and without it I feel completely lost. I see the world through my art. It is me.
7. Where did you study?I studied graphic design when I left school. I wanted to do fine arts but this course was a compromise with my parents. They believed that I would have a chance of getting a real job if I did this course.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I see myself still painting.
9. What about in ten?Still painting. But my kids will be left home - well maybe not, but they will be finished school anyway.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to look back on the works I have produced and I see that I evolved.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I love sushi, BBQs and salads. Chocolate. Coffee.
12. Favourite book?That's a tough one, I barely ever read. I remember thinking Shakespeare was really cool at school because it was like a different language.
13. Favourite genre of music?I like all times but I generally listen to rock I guess.
14. What are your hobbies?Painting! I also love snow skiing, swimming and yoga.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Dead!