Instagram: @seolful Website: www.yoojin.seol.us
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hello! I guess I'm a happy designer, where joy fuels my creativity and I want to share that with others. Through art, animation, and to the people I can reach out to, it'd be my goal accomplished to bring a smile or encouragement. I currently live in LA, working at Laundry, a motion graphics studio. I was born in Korea and grew up moving a lot. In middle school, I discovered Photoshop on my home computer and began to get into digital art! Then I got into online communities where other kids were sharing their art and collaboratively wrote stories together. Eventually, I got into animation and interactive media, as it was a mix of digital art and storytelling.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Happy, colorful, & zany.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Photoshop is my go-to for design and illustrations work. Recently I’ve been into C4D & Octane renderer for 3D work. On paper, I like rainbow-colored pencils.
4. What is your artistic process like?First, gotta be inspired! Both visually and in the concept. A good sketch goes pretty far in composition and in the idea. But sometimes it's nice to just go and doodle freely, without thinking too much.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?So many! Now that everyone can openly share their art, I've been so inspired by a lot of artists sharing their work on Instagram & Behance.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Believing that there is a creator, it's amazing to think that I am intricately created by the same God who created the stars and the planets and the story of my life. Knowing that, it's amazing that I can also reflect His creativity as an artist too.
7. Where did you study?At the University of Southern California for animation & digital arts.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I want to continue designing with joy and passion, wherever I am at. But more than the artistic work itself, I hope that with whomever I am working with or get to meet, I hope I can be someone who inspires and builds them up, helping them in their growth.
9. What about in ten?Hmm... I want to have positively influenced the media through the projects I've worked on, whether it'd be commercial, personal, or pro-bono works. To become someone who has helped others with a humble heart. To younger artists, I want to be a mentor and a friend that inspires them. I want also to serve more in my community or go overseas as a missionary.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope to brighten up the world a bit and bring smiles to the viewers and my team.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Matcha! And almond milk. I drink it like water.
12. Favourite book?The Bible -- these days I'm so encouraged by 1&2 Peter. Recently I enjoyed "Till We Have Faces - CS Lewis".
13. Favourite genre of music?My playlist's a mix of Christian music, fun/upbeat hip-hop, or mellow sweet tunes.
14. What are your hobbies?Exploring places, trying new food (sweeeets), spending time with others, and journaling.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?When I was young before I knew it was a city, I wanted to be Houston who answers the astronaut, "Houston, we have a problem". I'm still fascinated by outer space and liked physics, so that would be such a cool job!