Instagram: @sing_seung Website: www.seungwonchun.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi! I’m Seung Chun a Korean-Canadian Illustrator + surface designer based in Brooklyn. I was born and raised in Seoul until fifth grade and immigrated to Canada. My family has no fear of moving to different countries, so my parents are now in Vietnam and I’m living my dream in New York. I came to college as a Fine Arts major and discovered my new passion for illustration during sophomore year. 안녕하세요! 브룩클린에서 활동하고 있는 일러스트레이터 씅 입니다. 오학년까지 한국에서 살다가 캐나다로 이민을 오게되었고 그 과정에서 많은것을 배웠습니다. 그후 뉴욕에 와서 일러스트레이션 전공을 하게되어 꿈을 키워가고 있습니다.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I love to draw vibrant and fun characters. I also gained interest in surface design and self-teaching animation, so I’m starting to incorporate patterns and simple gifs in my illustrations. 신나고 밝은 이미지를 가지고 있는 캐릭터를 좋아해 즐거운 그림을 위주로 그리고 있고 최근 패턴이나 지프 만들기에 새로운 관심을 갖고있습니다.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Although I like to work both in gouache and digital, my current favorite medium is digital because it allows me to work in all places like on the subway or on vacation. I think I’m still on a journey to find a happy balance in between. 과슈 페인팅과 디지털로 작업을 즐겨하고 있습니다.
4. What is your artistic process like?I usually start sketching on a sketchbook with a pencil, pen or anything I have at that moment and transfer that onto photoshop and finish up the coloring. During that process, I also get feedback from my friends because it really helps to clarify my concept and get advice that I would never think about. 먼저 스케치로 시작하고 스캔을 떠서 포토샵으로 옮겨 작업을 완성하고 있습니다. 그중간에 친구들과 피드백도 받으면서 새로운 시각을 얻기도 합니다.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Photography, museums, and friends impact hugely on my work. They give me a fresh look at ordinary objects or concepts. 사진과 미술관 또는 아티스트 친구들을 만나며 영감을 얻고 있습니다.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art was ever with me since I was young. I'm fortunate to have a supportive family who went above and beyond to help me become a better artist. That was a big reason why I moved around so many countries and cities to attend art schools which allowed me to be surrounded by so many amazing artists and they inspire me 24/7. Also, art made me view people and the world differently. I became more accepting of things I would be hesitant before. 제가 원하는 방향을 항상 응원해주는 가족이 있었기에 캐나다 예술고등학교와 뉴욕에서 미술을 공부할수 있게 되었고 그 과정에서 많은 친구들을 만나 매일 좋은 영향을 받고있습니다. 또 예술로 인해 열린 시각으로 세상을 볼 수 있게 되었습니다.
7. Where did you study?I studied at the School of Visual Arts in BFA Illustration. 뉴욕 School of Visual Arts 에서 일러스트레이션을 전공 했습니다.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I see myself working as a freelance illustrator and being able to work while traveling around the world. 여러곳을 여행다니며 일러스트 프리렌서로 일하고 싶습니다.
9. What about in ten?I want to become a multi illustrator who does everything! Working on ad-projects, launching my own brand or doing exhibitions. 다양한 일을 하는 일러스트레이터가 되고싶습니다. 전시도 열고 광고프로젝트도 하며 또한 저의 브랜드를 런칭하고 싶습니다.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Being able to support myself fully haha. I just want people to be happy and get encourage by my art. That would make me more than exciting. 제가 다른 작품을 보고 영감을 얻은것 처럼 언젠간 다른 사람들도 제그림을 보고 비슷한 기분을 느꼈으면 좋겠습니다.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Anything my mom cooks is the best food in the world! (and K-BBQ). 엄마 음식과 바비큐!
12. Favourite book?The Butterfly of the Starts by Bernard Werber. 베르나르 베르베르의 파피용
13. Favorite genre of music?I have a broad music taste so it was hard to choose a favorite genre, but I recently saw David Bowie is an exhibition in Brooklyn Museum and started listening to his song again. 다양한 음악장르를 좋아해서 하나를 고르기 너무 어려웠는데 최근 David Bowie의 전시를 보고 다시 그의 음악을 즐겨듣게 되었습니다.
14. What are your hobbies?As much as I love art, I love to travel and snowboard. 여행과 스노우보드 타기.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Hm, I never thought of being something other than an artist, so it took me a while to answer. I guess I would be a blogger since I like to record my life on instagram story haha. 미술 말고는 딱히 생각해 본적이 없어 대답하기 오래걸렸지만 일상행활을 기록하는걸 좋아해 블로거가 되었을것 같아요.
Comments are closed.