Instagram: @studiofolk Facebook: www.facebook.com/studiofolkisfun Website: www.studiofolk.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Denis Carrier, I'm 33 and almost bald. I live at the foot at the French Alps and I'm a freeelance illustrator and a graphic designer since 2008. I studied graphic design in France and after few years as a freelance in graphic design I began to made some illustration for fun and now I spend more time in this field.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.When I do my best, I hope it's smart, conceptual, minimalist, funny and colorful.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My mediums have changed through the years, at the beginning I only worked with my black pen and the page of paper. After that I made a lot of digital and vector illustrations and since last autumn, I experiment new mediums like wood and paper for example. For me the idea is always more important that the medium so I try to change and experiment for exploring new fields.
4. What is your artistic process like?I always begin with a pencil and a note book and I made a ton of litle sketches for finding a good idea which work. After finding two or three ideas, I made a first version of them rapidly, like that I can see if the ideas work well with colors and in the dimension of the final illustration. If everything seems work, I send them to the art director. The last step is simply to add more details in the illustration and it's done.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?I live near the mountains, so the nature is very important in my inspiration. I like spending time in my bike for finding new idea. I also love drinking a good beer in a concert, visiting an exhibition or reading books. And of course, peoples like Seymour Chwast, Paul Rand, Savignac or Christoph Niemann are inspirations for me.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?For me art helps to reveal things. Sometimes it's beautiful but sometimes not and it doesn't matter because with art these things could exist.
7. Where did you study?I studied Graphic Design during 4 years in France in a little school in Grenoble but I also saw a lot of talks of great graphic designer and illustrators in the web.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Maybe in my pluridisciplinary agency where I could continue to explore design with talented partners.
9. What about in ten?Why not in the forest, in a cabin where I could record my first album of Hardcore Hip Hop
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Express myself
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?The pizza, mmmmmhhhhh
12. Favourite book?Whaaaouuuu, really difficult to choose… I will say : It’s a Good Life, If You Don’t Weaken by Seth
13. Favourite genre of music?Lo-fi music
14. What are your hobbies?Fishing in a little mountain river
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A wrestler of Lucha Libre
Comments are closed.