Instagram: @studiosoph Facebook: www.facebook.com/StudioSoph.art
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I was born in New Zealand, but raised in The Netherlands from when I was 6 months old. When I finished my degree in Graphic Design in Utrecht I really wanted to travel so I decided I wanted to go back to my roots. What was meant to be just a backpack trip around New Zealand turned into living here permanently. I have been here almost 9 years and I’m totally in love with this country. I’m part of a co-op called ‘The Little Beehive Co-op’ where creative, fabulous people share a gallery/shop space. And apart from being a Mum from a 7 year old boy, I’m a full time artist.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Lots of bright colors and a bit of craziness! Obsessed with animals and nature.
3. What is your favorite medium and why?I like to swap around with mediums so I work with clay the most but when I have done so much of it I’ll paint or do collage. The mix keeps it interesting for me.
4. What is your artistic process like?An idea always starts growing slowly in my head first. Next step is sketching it, a lot! I love that feeling of it going from my brain to an actual piece and while working on it it feels like butterflies going around in my body! I think those moments are the best thing about being an artist.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?My Mum is a big inspiration for me. I so love her work! Plus I collect children’s books, when I have a creative block I just look through them.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?It always has played a huge role in my life. Coming from a very artistic family, both my grandparents were artists and so is my Mum. When I was really young, my Mum always used to go to art exhibitions and museums (which we are spoiled with in the Netherlands) with me. At first, I didn’t really like it but slowly I started to really appreciate it and now I’m so thankful she put all these little seeds in my brain. I think we need lots of art in any form these days, it’s like rays of sunshine coming through a big cloud.
7. Where did you study?Nimeto in Utrecht, The Netherlands.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?I hope I’m still illustrating and I have illustrated a children’s book!
9. What about in ten?By then I hope to have my own little gallery/studio!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope it makes people happy and smile.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favorite food?I so love food! Depends on my mood but you can wake me up for smashed avocado on toast.
12. Favorite book?I love children’s books. I just bought ‘Beastly Verse’ from Joohee Yoon, so beautiful. Best novel would be the ‘The Alchemist’ from Paulo Coelho.
13. Favorite genre of music?I love all kinds of music! From Vivaldi to Nirvana to Ann Peebles to Wu Tang Clan to Cat Power to Chet Faker to D’Angelo to David Bowie to Erykah Badu to Fat Freddy’s drop to Foo Fighters to M.I.A to Nick Drake to Billy Holiday to Paul Simon to The Andrew Sisters to Radiohead to Opgezwolle to Van Morrison to Agnes Obel to Rodriguez.
14. What are your hobbies?Apart from illustrating I love my boxing classes!
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?A detective!
Comments are closed.