1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Nick Sullo, I was born and raised in California where I went to art school and started my career in Visual Effects for Film. I started out as a fine artist since I was a kid doing illustrations, paintings, printmaking and started experimenting in digital when I was 12 and once I got my hands on a wacom and a copy of Photoshop that my neighbour had in his music studio it took off from there. I've been doing VFX for about 8 years now and in 2015 got back into illustration and recently painting again.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic has been focused on vivid colors and surrealism since I was in highschool. It's only recent that I've been attempting at molding these two together in my illustrations.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I enjoy both digital and acrylic painting. So I don't really have a particular favorite medium. I've learned that each one has its strong point and its good to hone in on that and respect the medium.
4. What is your artistic process like?I start out using 3D software and 3D kit bash with human figures and objects. I then color, and light the scene, hit render then draw over the image in Manga Studio. If an illustration strikes a deep chord with me I then re-create it on canvas with acrylic and spray paint.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Personal issues whether it is internal struggles or things happening around me externally. I think it causes that friction in our lives that you can choose to wallow in it or do something about it. And it's always healthy to output it some how or another. For me it's through my artwork.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art plays a major role in my life, it puts food on the table, and pays the bills as well as being very enriching and allows me to personally grow and progress through my life and help me get past things. Artwork in generally especially when seeing others helps open up my world to see things differently and it reminds me to be open-minded and to never corner my style or creativity.
7. Where did you study?I studied at Academy of Fine Art in San Francisco
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?In galleries
9. What about in ten?In another country outside America
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?Satisfaction, but I'm never satisfied with my work. Otherwise it's to have a clear message.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?I've been told I'm chill, easy-going, soft-spoken. At a young age my parents tried to define me as being shy but since then I've always tried to prove them wrong in a since. Fav food, been in a Mediterranean kick lately...
12. Favourite book?Fav book changes over time relative to that point in my life so right now...The Tribe by Sebastian Junger.
13. Favourite genre of music?Music, its been bouncing back n forth from Witch House to hip hop...
14. What are your hobbies?Cycling, hiking, anything that gets me outside.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Possibly working on an olive garden or a vineyard. Something where I can get me hands into the earth.
Comments are closed.