Instagram: @yellowlionstudio Website: www.niamhmccarthyillustrates.com
1. What's your story? Where are you fromMy name is Niamh and I am from Ireland. I live by the beach, in the countryside. I am an illustrator and I sell my illustrations as prints on my Etsy shop Yellow Lion Studio.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic is cheerful and colourful. I love using colour in my illustrations. My favourite colours to use are yellows, oranges, blues and greens.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?My favourite medium is digital. I would be lost without the app Procreate. Before, I used to hand draw all of illustrations and I really enjoyed that process and sometimes feel I should practise it more, but once I discovered the Apple pencil and Ipad a few years back I haven’t looked back. I love all the possibilities digital illustration brings.
4. What is your artistic process like?Probably a little bit chaotic at times, I tend to get an idea for something I want to illustrate and I just start. I do often do sketches though beforehand and I like to map out any colours I want to use in the illustration and then I begin the final illustration.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Travel and nature are big inspirations for me. I love to illustrate places I’ve been or places I dream of visiting. I’m also constantly inspired by the wonderful illustrators and artists I follow on Instagram, just scrolling through my feed and seeing such incredible work.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Art has always been a big part of my life, for as long as I can remember it’s something I’ve loved. I find creating my illustrations can be an escape from the real world. When I illustrate, hours can go by where I am so absorbed by what I am creating, so for me it provides moments of mindfulness too.
7. Where did you study?I studied Visual Communications for 4 years in Cork, here in Ireland. The course was mainly dedicated to learning graphic design but through illustration modules, I discovered my love for illustration and from then on I knew I wanted to pursue a career in it.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?In five years, I hope my illustration skills have continued to develop and that I have a strong sense of my illustration style. I hope that I am continuing to sell my illustrations as prints all across the world and I hope that I can expand to other products like clothing and other textiles. I also hope to be able to travel more of world and see new places.
9. What about in ten?Hopefully happy and healthy. I dream of having my own physical shop where I sell my illustration prints and products and have a space for other artists and creators to sell their pieces too. I would love to also be able to create illustrations for product packaging and illustrate a children’s storybook.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I hope that my art can bring people a sense of happiness. I hope that my art can bring some cheer to someone’s day.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?100% pasta. I love Italian food.
12. Favourite book?American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.
13. Favourite genre of music?Pop.
14. What are your hobbies?This year, I’ve started practising yoga, which I love and try and practise a few days a week. I also purchased a film camera recently so I’m looking forward to getting back into photography, as it’s something I’ve always loved.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I’ve always known that I wanted to work in a creative career but if I was to pick something different, it would be working with animals. Wildlife conservation is something I would love to be apart of.
Comments are closed.