Instagram: @yeuujjn Tumblr: jennyyuu.tumblr.com Dribbble: www.dribbble.com/jennyyu Website: jennyyu.squarespace.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Hi I'm Jenny Yu, and currently I'm an environment concept artist at Mindshow! I'm from Los Angeles, CA!
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.Lighting, color, and shape are important aspects of my work. Being able to create magic in a single frame of an image through the cohesion of reality and fantasy is something I always want to try to convey. Life often becomes routine and tiring for us, so I want to remind myself and others that there is always magic even in the trivial drills of everyday life.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Right now I love working digitally on Photoshop! If talking traditionally, ball point pens for sketching and watercolor/oil for painting.
4. What is your artistic process like?Start with an idea, story, or feeling, sketch it out, figure out the lighting, then go ham on painting.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?So many things and people! Simple things like watching purple shadows stretching across the ground at sunset or leaves rustling or vibrating puddles formed after the rain. Memories from childhood. The feeling of longing or contemplation. Hayao Miyazaki is obviously one of my major influences as well, and everyone in my life thus far, past or present.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?A huge role- art is one of the most important constants in my life. It naturally forces me to notice the minutiae of existing with others, and in nature, ultimately enriching the way I visually digest and live in the world around me. The way a person's hair curls, or the way light hits a certain material will always be kind of exciting in a way, haha! Art forces me to improve myself as an artist and person too- to keep learning. I still have such a long ways to go to becoming a better artist!
7. Where did you study?California State University, Long Beach!
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Travelling and freelancing! Just seeing as much of the world as possible and regurgitating that with art while I'm still young.
9. What about in ten?I would love to have my own illustration studio/space one day. The idea is kind of nebulous at the moment, but yes, one day, I want to have my own studio to create meaningful stories with others.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I think the root of my work lies in nostalgia, dreams, and a complex inner world tossed in with reality. It's always about nurturing a feeling or sentiment in myself and others. Most of the time all I want to do is recreate those memories of coming home after school with the warm hazy afternoon light scrambling through the mesh of the curtains, or seeing a particularly beautiful sunset from the backseat of the car when you were 4. Something like that.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Dim sum or sushi!! Taiyaki from a small local shop called Deli Manjoo!
12. Favourite book?So difficult! A Tale For the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki is up there!
13. Favourite genre of music?Hahaha oh god, I've been listening to a lot of anime/game/film OSTs or K-pop as of late. I always love instrumental music like jazz hop when working!
14. What are your hobbies?Besides drawing, hanging out with my sisters and pet rabbit! And perusing grocery store aisles.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Possibly working in the non-profit sector, or becoming a plant in a garden.
Comments are closed.