Instagram: @yimeisgreat Twitter: @yimeisgreat Website: www.yimeisgreat.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?I come from Madrid (Spain) Grew up in a town nearby the mountains.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I do cartoony characters. Unfortunately, I am unable to keep a single and continuous aesthetic on everything I do, so I tend to draw the same characters using different techniques. I always use bright colours, though.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Digital for colouring, pen and paper for sketching up.
4. What is your artistic process like?I keep a scrapbook with me at all time. Ideas eventually come up from situations I see or experience myself. So when I bump into an idea, I just jot it down quickly to work on it later.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?Other artists, fashion, trippy music and human interactions.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?When at Uni, I had a dilemma on how to split artistic and personal life, but years passed and I guess now art is my personal life. It changes the way I view the world by making me try to put my own universe into images, something I wouldn't do otherwise.
7. Where did you study?Madrid and Valencia (Spain)
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?Living in a flat in a big city and having my own clothing brand. I really don't see myself working for an agency, tried it a couple of times before, but it's definitely not for me.
9. What about in ten?Same thing but fatter and richer, probably with a couple of kids and debating myself on whether to buy a motorbike to feel young again.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I like it when people smile and relate to my drawings. Also when they create their own story about it. I'd say I want to achieve global happiness, although it's becoming quite difficult lately with all these problems around...
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Any Spanish dish and, especially, "Arroz a la cubana" (which is not Spanish, by the way). It's just rice with tomato sauce, fried eggs and a fried banana.
12. Favourite book?I am not a big reader, to be honest, but once I read a book that changed the way I'd visualise stories ever since that day. Title is: "Nocilla Dreams"
13. Favourite genre of music?Anything that has a strong bass.
14. What are your hobbies?Can I say drawing? Haha. Nah, I'd say have beers with friends and discuss ideas.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?I guess just a dude with a backpack and a Kinder Bueno addiction.