Instagram: @yuschav Behance: www.behance.net/yuschav
1. What's your story? Where are you from?My name is Yuschav Arly and i’m a freelance illustrator living in Bali, Indonesia.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.I liked muted tones, smooth shading, clean composition, simple line/shapes, and women as my main subject. All this thing can change in the future cause i’m still developing and doing a lot of experiment with my art, except the women part ;)
3. What is your favourite medium and why?I do rough sketch on my notebook and then work on them in photoshop or illustrator (depends on the client’s request) with my intuos, both are pretty much the same to me cause 98% of my work done with pentool. If i have to choose one, i’ll choose photoshop because it’s easier for me to organise the layers.
4. What is your artistic process like?Daydreaming is always my first step, Music is the 2nd, and then the rough sketch in notebook with a little description just so i’m not forget about the idea, and after that is just a long fun hours with pentool, music, coffee and cigar. But like 40% of the time i spent while working is to swap and changing colors because it’s fun playing with it and i have more option to choose before i go any further. And sometimes changing colors around could give me more ideas to add on the work, it feels like a scientific research and i like doing it !
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?For me, this is a very wide questions and i never find a simple answer for it because i think it’s all connected somehow in a mysterious way, not only for work but for life as well. To name a few, Marilyn Manson, Dan Luvisi, Mountain, Telefon Tel Aviv, Gaming, Women’s Eyes & their Body Language, The Universe, and Mom.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Everything. I really don’t know how to explain it, i mean, i see the world the way i wanna see, not because the way it is, and art does play a role in that kind of perspective, so every art that i see, hear or feel, it builds up our own character over time, it changes not only the view, but the way i think, and so every moves, words, decision, artwork, friends, and anything in the past or in the future, art still plays role in it whether i realise it or not. That’s what i believe.
7. Where did you study?For Illustration, i’m self-taught, doing it for a year before i go to college, and there’s no Illustration course/class in this small island at that time, so i continue studied Graphic Design (2009-2011) in New Media Interactive Bali which doesn’t exist anymore.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency ?I’m currently represented by JSR Agency (UK) and i’m very happy with it, i can work anywhere i want as long as there’s internet, and in 5 years i would like to see myself “still” traveling across different countries while still making artwork, freelancing and exploring this huge world.
9. What about in ten ?Does traveling to space already exist for public ? I can’t wait !
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I fell in love with art since i was a kid, my mom is a painter and she’s doing it for her own satisfaction, and that’s what i’m doing and will keep doing, to achieve ultimate satisfaction and happiness, everything else is just a bonus.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Chinese Food !
12. Favourite book?I’m more a comic person, so everything related to Marvel is my fav.
13. Favourite genre of music?I don’t have a favourite genre of music, but more to the Artist itself, the way he/she sing the song or the way he/she plays the instrument or simply because the lyrics or the music change the way i see this worlds and gives me tremendous amount of ideas. To name a few ; Marilyn Manson, Telefon Tel Aviv, Bjork, Daniel Portman, Two Steps From Hell.
14. What are your hobbies?Doing absolutely Nothing, with music, green views, cigarette and coffee.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Honestly, i have never thought about anything else. “You can have whatever you are willing to struggle for”, that words is running strong in my blood and an Artist is all i wanted to be since i was a kid, and that’s it ! :)