Instagram: @zoe.hun Facebook: www.facebook.com/zoegriffingheller Website: www.zoegriffingheller.com
1. What's your story? Where are you from?Im am a 21 year old artist from Columbus Ohio. I feel like my story hasn't even started yet to be honest. Im currently a senior in college but I learned photoshop and photography before I even started high school. I remembering downloading GIMP (a free editing software) and being ecstatic. I spent so many hours on it just messing around, going out and taking pictures, then coming back to edit. I also didn't have many friends when I moved in my tweens so I had a a lot of free time and I found a lot of comfort in making art. It was also easy to be surrounded by inspiration because my parents are both artists themselves.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.My aesthetic could be described as whimsical and colorful. I aim to make things that at least make me laugh and hopefully other people too!
3. What is your favourite medium and why?Hahaha well digital studio photography is by far what I do the most of. I do video and can work with other mediums as well as traditional but I prefer digital with almost everything.
4. What is your artistic process like?A big part of what I do is coming up with the concept and doing research. I actually carry around a tiny notebook that I use as my wallet to write things down in. Ill write down anything from ideas to objects I think are cool or even just thoughts I have and go off from there. Sometimes I will just go buy a prop and try to come up with an idea around it but if its a client or for class ill start with the key word. So my process can be planned and unplanned at times.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?My family inspires my work the most. Maybe its a joke my dad says, something my sister is interested in, or my moms artwork. Of course my style and medium is completely different than my parents but my relationship with them makes me want to keep making work. But other than that I have artists I love but I look more at objects and humor around me. I make things that make me smile :) I used to make art that was so deep, emotional, and sad and to be honest it only made me more depressed. Making photographs that are funny and colorful attracts me and is almost like therapy.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?Gosh, art has always been a huge part in my life. I was not the typical girl when I was small, I grew up in a very liberal family and both my parents made art constantly. It was always around me and always a part of my life. I feel like its hard for me to say how its changed the way I viewed the world because ive just always seen the world in an artistic way. Even as I kid I collected business cards because I liked the designs. I literally had huge stacks of business cards, my mom found it very annoying haha. Now its still a huge part of my life. When I look at objects I think “how can I make that interesting”. The only thing I would change is being able to solely survive off my work or just have a job more related to photography.
7. Where did you study?Im still in school at Columbus College of Art and Design. Im about to graduate however if anyone needs a fun photographer ;)
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?I don't really know. I cant even see where ill be in about 6 months to be honest haha. Id like to work with adverting agency's, in social media, or photo illustrations for places like business week and etc..
9. What about in ten?HA I hope I eat less pasta thats all I can say.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?I don't aspire to be the next Ansel Adams or Annie Leibovitz, even though the are both amazing. I just want to be able to live and be happy making art. I don't care about being the best of the best, if I could inspire at least on person by the end of my life then id be happy.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?Sweet potatoes or just potatoes hahaha
12. Favourite book?Im going to go with a kids book called The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.
13. Favourite genre of music?Indie/ alternative... 90's garage band music haha.
14. What are your hobbies?Ha to be honest I don't have a lot of time to really have much of a hobby. I love hiking and camping when I get the time too. I also enjoy cooking but Im not sure if its actually cooking I like or just eating food haha. My guilty pleasure though is watching copious amounts of kids movies.
15. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?Probably something to do with humanitarian work if we are saying no art allowed. I used to fantasize about doing peace corps or something related before I realized I could make art as my career. I still want to give back and help others I just need to find a place where I can do that with my art as well.
Comments are closed.